San Domenico Maggiore Church
Piazza San Domenico Maggiore - Tel. 081.459188 - 081.4420039
Carlo II d’Angiò wanted it. At first it was built in Gothic stylefrom 1293 to 1324 and it became the Dominicans’ mother house in the kindom of Naples and the Church of the Aragonenses nobles. Inside, the curch is rich in both sculptural and pictorial works of art. The frescoes in Brancaccio Chapel are of great relevance for their quality of the colours and architecture; they are works by Pietro Cavallini and represent: Sanit John the Evangelist’s tales, Crucifixion, Magdalene’s Tales and the Apostoles Peter, Paul and Andrew. The vestry is a rectangular hall with baroque decorations of the eigteenth century on drawings by Giovan Battista Nauclerio. Along the walls there are walnut stalls finely decorated, and the fresco Triumph of the Faith in the Dominican Order by Francesco Solimena that decorates the vault, is perhaps one of the most imposing by the artist. The room is famous also for the 45 coffins of kings covered with precious coloured cloths; mostly of them keep the embalmed corpses of nobles. Accoring to tradition, the whole Aragonenses dinasty (1442- 1503) was buried there and among them King Alfonso V of Aragon, named the Magnanimous who died in 1458 and whose corpse was later taken to Spain. The treasure hall houses a permanent exhibition of altar clothes and religious items of great historical and artistic value and especially, in the adjoining vestry, it keeps cloche nd items found in the Sarcophaguses of the Aragonens Royalty.
Church opening time: every day
Hours: 9,30 - 12.00 a.m. / 5.00 - 7.00 p.m.
Treasure Hall opening time: Fri and Sat: 9.30
12.00 a.m. / 5.00 - 7.00 p.m.; Tue to Thu 9.30
12.00 a.m.; Sun 9.30 - 12.00 a.m.; closed on
Tickets fares for the Treasure Hall: Adults
€ 3,00 - riductions for groups, school groups,
under 12 free. Reservation required for groups.
Services: Disabled access for the church
Means of transport: Metro: Line 1 Dante Station
- Line 2 Montesanto Station - buses: R2 E1